Saturday, March 24, 2007

More Web 2.0 -- or was that 1.0...?

I'm not into cubbyholing everything, but sometimes it does help us understand things. Ah, labels, labels. I tend to see things more as a continuum, so how about helping me out a little here:

Amy said, ". . . what I think Web 2.0 means is a new way to connect with people and build community and share ideas and actually start to put the web infrastructure to good use."

This sounds really good to me. And then I think about newsgroups, listservs, and IM, which have been around for "internet eons." And wonder if they are not a part of Web 2.0 . . . or Web 1.0 -- and then my head starts to spin, and I get a little dizzy, and major confusion sets in.

So, why do we need a new name ("2.0") for something that some of us perceive as a evolution, or progression? It's not that I mind, but . . . why?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That video I linked to says it much better than I could, so I'll paraphrase.

In Web 1.0 - the content was combined with the markup - you had to be a geek to communicate with geeks - so to speak. And yes there was community, but it required way more work to communicate and network.

In Web 2.0 - the markup and delivery is built to open access dramatically. Non technically orriented grandmothers can email photos and talk with Rosie O'Donnell and get a real time response. Information can get distributed to the people who need and want it, and that process changes things really fast. Remember George Allen. The speed with which that video went from a cell phone to my desktop was unprecidented.

That is web 2.0.

One more video for you Shift Happens. This takes a step back from the last one I linked to and shows this shift happening at a global level.

As you can see, I love talking about this stuff. I've been doing a lot of writing about new media marketing on my blog lately, so feel free to stop by and say hello.

Amy
http://www.amystevensonline.com/blog

naplblog said...

Amy, I'm glad you love talking about this stuff, because many of us are having trouble keeping up. Please hang in there with me...

So IM and listservs, etc., have the content combined with the markup? I guess that was seamless for some of us who just used freely-available software to use those services. But blog software, journals such as MySpace and Live Journal, etc. also seem seamless to some of us. So please help me understand what the difference is.

Yes, I've seen Shift Happens before -- astounding! Important for all of us, especially educators and librarians, to understand and incorporate into our services.