Thursday, March 15, 2007

Library 2.0? Web 2.0!

What do you know about Web 2.0? I think it is running parallel to, or perhaps a little ahead of, what is being called Library 2.0 (at least by Karen Schneider, but to learn about that you should check her blog). It has something to do with wikis, and blogs and other forms of "social networking" - which I take to mean online interactivity with other humans. [Side thought: Does that then make email and IM a part of web 2.0, instead of web 1.0? and what about web 1.01 - web 1.99?]

Sounds like the place we are all heading, like it or not.

So I signed up for this "webinar" -- also a new term to me -- to learn about using web 2.0 tools in our library. I do it from the library, using a computer and either a headset/microphone or a telephone line (no, I won't be tying up the line and keeping you from reaching our fabulous staff). I'm kind of excited about it. Maybe it will be similar to the online seminars my brother participates in, where the instructor somehow passes control of everyone's computers from one particpant to another, so all can view the same thing. Gee -- isn't that just a wee bit scary!

Meanwhile, beside blogs, what are you doing with Web 2.0?

k

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing lots of things, and even after 15 years in the internet industry, I may be more excited now about new tools and toys than I have been at any other point in my career. I come to work giddy, I tell you.

Your viewers may be interested in seeing this video - which is the best primer I've come across about Web 2.0.

Web 2.0 If you go to YouTube, you can get a code to embed this right into a blog posting.

How am I using web 2.0? I podcast, I blog, I am working with wiki's. Those are the tools though, what I think Web 2.0 means is a new way to connect with people and build community and share ideas and actually start to put the web infrastructure to good use.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just watched the video suggested by Amy. I found it very exciting, a bit confusing and also a little scary. Of course I was born when we still called the operator to make a phone call and the only privacy issue was if your party line was being listened to by a neighbor.

naplblog said...

Amy, that's a great video! Thanks for posting it on our blog.

Sounds like you are really into 2.0! I agree with your definition of Web 2.0.

However, even before I've mastered all those wonderful Web 2.0 tools, I recently heard a reference to Web 3.0! It's all moving sooooo fast.